Beyond the Hotline: How We Can Prevent the Crisis that Might Bring On a Nuclear War
In the 1980s, much attention was given to the power of nuclear weapons and their potential to destroy the world, but little consideration was given to the human factors that could lead to those fatal decisions.
In Beyond the Hotline, William Ury provides an informed, candid view of Cold War relations, as he lays out a comprehensive crisis control system designed to prevent nuclear war.
In Beyond the Hotline, you’ll learn:
- • what was the most likely path to war
- • how a Joint Crisis Control Center was formed
- • how emergency safety procedures were put into place
- • how the President and his cabinet responded to briefings
- • how crisis control became woven into the fabric of international policy